Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Gluten? Isn't that one of the seven deadly sins?

Up until this summer I had never heard the word "gluten." Up until this summer I had no idea such an unopposing word could be so destructive. Little did I know, that such a little word meant so much.

According to several books such as Living Gluten-Free for Dummies (you know from the delightful little series) and Gluten-Free 101, gluten is a protein found in grains such as wheat, rye, barley, spelt, kamut, and tritcale. First off, what on earth are the last three? Spelt, kamut, and tricale? I just looked up spelt and it is an ancient grain used by the egyptians, a grandparent of sorts to wheat (according to www.spelt.com). However, what got me the most about gluten is wheat.

WHAT?! you mean i can't have ANY wheat products? no bread? beer? cake? pasta? What the hell am i supposed to eat?! Salad all day?

That's pretty much how i reacted when my mother told me she was gluten-intolerant and that this problem was genetic. I've been living my life for nineteen years enjoying delicious bread products and pasta and all sorts of exotic foods that are all made with things derived from wheat, rye, or barley. Ever since then, I've dedicated my time to learning more about this little problem i have. I'm still learning. I will continue to learn about the food i put in my mouth and how it affects my body.

In the upcoming posts I'll be discussing problems associated with Gluten intolerance, sensitivity, and celiacs disease, and what the difference between each of these things is. As I learn what it means to live a gluten-free lifestyle, I plan on sharing my experiences and thoughts. Recipes, anecdotes, and facts should be expected from this blog in the upcoming posts.

If any question or comment comes to mind, please don't hesitate to leave a note.

1 comment:

Riot Girl said...

I'm really sad you didn't call your post glutey patootey.