Sunday, February 25, 2007

A start.

Like I said in my last post, I just discovered I was gluten-intolerant this past summer (while on a road trip across country where my food choices consisted of fast food restaurants). I made the resolution to go Gluten-Free once I got back to school. However, I had NO idea what it really meant to be Gluten-Free. When I got back to my dorm, for the first two days I didn't know what I could eat. I remember one of the days I was starving but being so unsure of what contained gluten and what didn't (knowing that chocolate was most likely a safe bet) I ate a bag of raisenets and then bought a yogurt smoothie from Starbucks. That was it. All I ate all day. After that I decided I needed to do some research to find out what was safe for me, because I could not survive off of yogurt and chocolate (no matter how much I loved either).

I googled "gluten-free" and the first website that came up was www.celiac.com. This site has tons of information, including: recipes, outside links, store, etc.

I began to realize there was a whole world of foods i could eat. There is no gluten in rice, potato, or corn. This means that a lot of Asian noodles are gluten-free and a good deal of Mexican food is gluten-free, but one always has to double check. A good thing for those of us that are sensitive to gluten to be aware of is all the basics seasonings that may have wheat as an ingredient.











This for instance....
The second ingredient in Kikkoman Soy Sauce is none other than Wheat. Why on earth does wheat need to be in soy sauce?





It doesn't have to be! La Choy, a cheaper soy sauce, contains no wheat or gluten of any kind! Now I just need to convince my school's cafeteria that more expensive isn't always better



Ok folks. It has been suggested to me that I ought to include in each post a food diary of what I consume each day to prove that being gluten-free, while inconvenient, isn't impossible.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today's Plate:

Breakfast:I woke up too late to have breakfast

Lunch:Grilled Chicken Tacos on Corn Tortillas with Mexican Red Rice

Dinner:Left overs from my dinner last night of Grilled Chicken and Mixed vegetables with Steamed white rice and some San-J Soy Sauce (this is a self-proclaimed gluten-free soy sauce that can be found in certain health food grocery stores)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sometimes i really do wish I could just have a turkey sandwhich on wheat.

5 comments:

Lindsay said...

How did consuming gluten products affect you before you discovered you were intolerant? Is it like an allergic effect? (I don't know anything about this. :] )

Anonymous said...

Wow, I know nothing about this topic, so thanks for addressing it! I had no idea people could be gluten intolerant. I look forward to reading what you have to say in your future posts :)

matty said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
matty said...

Because I love food and anything eating-related, I kind of want to cry because of the fact that you can't eat korean BBQ and teriyaki, amongst other things (not to rub it in).
I really knew nothing about this topic until you introduced in class. Some old lady came injto the bookstore I work at, asking me where the gluten-free diet section was, and I knew enough to hold a conversation with her. So thanks for that. (She did kind of "yell" at me though when I said, "Yeah, it's really rare," because it's apparently one of the most undiagnosed conditions in medicine.) Wow, this was long.

Shana Leigh said...

I cant totally relate to how you feel. Eventhough I can eat gluten products I am allergic to all seafood and related products. It's hard trying to figure out what to eat because you always have to check how the food is prepared and what's in it. It seems like you have a good understanding of what what's working for your everday life. Can't wait to read more!