Friday, April 20, 2007

I'm thankful for...

all things gluten-free! I'm also thankful I'm not lactose intolerant, because if I couldn't eat chocolate I think I might die. It's pretty much the one good thing in my life right now. When I found out I was gluten intolerant the doctor stressed to me that I could have a healthy and GF diet. He said, "just because snickers and m&m's are gluten-free...that doesn't mean you should only eat M&M's."

WELL Mr. Doctor. I could. I could very easily and happily ingest bit after bit of dark chocolate.









mmmm...

Of course I don't only eat chocolate, because that would just be irresponsible of me.
In fact, I eat rather well. There are so many options that are Gluten-free that aren't made especially to be gluten-free.
All meats, veggies, and fruits are naturally GF. On top of those little delights are the starches such as potatoes, corn, and rice!









These things are natures candy



Whenever I explain to people what it means to be gluten-free they feel so sorry for me! When really, I feel sorry for them! They are missing out on so many wonderful natural joys because they are so engulfed in the plain sandwhich or pasta dish. As a result of my diet being limited, my imagination and food creativity have been broadened. I eat better in my schools cafeteria, without any special meals made for me, than I did before I was diagnosed.

--------------------
-------------

Today's Recipe:

If there is one thing I love more than cake, it's cupcakes

Flourless Chocolate Ancho Cupcakes
Makes 12 cupcakes. Set oven to 350 degrees
















Recipe taken from Vanilla Garlic




Ingredients:

Cupcake
8 oz of semisweet chocolate (60% cacao)
3/4 cup of butter, room temperature
1 cup of sugar
4 eggs, separated, room temperature
2 1/2 tablespoons of ancho chili powder
pinch of salt

Icing

3 cups of heavy whipping cream
1/3 – 1/2 cup of powdered sugar





Directions:

Cupcakes
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Break the chocolate into small pieces and melt it with butter over hot water in a double boiler type fashion.
2) Beat the egg yolks with half of the sugar until light and creamy.
3) Fold in the melted butter and chocolate mixture to the egg mixture. Fold in the ancho chili.
4) Beat egg whites until frothy by using an electric mixer; gradually add the remaining sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. 5) Fold in the beaten egg whites to the chocolate mixture.
6) Spoon into cupcake papers. Bake at 350 degrees until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, approximately 30 minutes. The cupcakes will collapse due to no flour.


















7) Let cool for 8 minutes, then use a knife to slowly and carefully work out the cupcakes. They can be fragile but if they break or goosh a bit, whatever. You'll probably need a fork to eat these anyway. Put a mound of whipped cream on and dust with cocoa powder and serve.


Icing
Place together in a mixing bowl until big, billowy and holds very stiff peaks.

-----------------
--------------------

I should just swear off all fast food

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The amusing information