Monday, April 23, 2007

Schools shortcomings

I've been having stomach issues all day, and partly I think it has to with the coffee and lack of food i'd eaten. I wasn't hungry and I didn't really have much time/availability of GF options at work. So anyhow, my stomache FINALLY goes away around 7, juuust enough time to eat at my schools cafeteria. I'm walking on in with my friend Kristen to get me some grub, and I see a meal choice of: Fried Calamari (a year ago I would've been down), Breaded Lemon Ginger Chicken with Rice (once again that's a clear no), and Pad Thai with Tofu.














Traditionally Pad Thai is made with Rice Noodles. Therefore, it's typicaaally safe to eat. But you never know, especially with cafeterias. I ask. "What sort of noodle is this? Is it rice?"

I would assume the chef (s) would know the answer to this very simple question. The guy goes to the kitchen to find out, and this is where I find out....they have NO idea. Apparently, this Pad Thai comes from a box. They threw the boxes out. HAH. Oooooh good ol' cafeteria, how I love your "accommodations". I didn't want to take any chances since my stomach had already been acting up. Grilled chicken with cold roasted potatoes it was.

I really really can't wait to have my own kitchen. siigh.

------------
----------------
Todays Recipe!


Quinoa Tomato & Mozzarella Salad














Recipe Courtesy of Glutenfreeda.com

Ingredients:
2 cups diced tomatoes
3/4 cup diced fresh mozzarella
3 Tablespoons minced shallots
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 cup chopped basil
1 cup quinoa***


Directions:
Combine tomato, mozzarella, shallots, 1 Tablespoon olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper in a medium bowl and toss. Let marinate for 30 minutes.
Bring 2 cups water and quinoa in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook about 15 minutes or until all the water is absorbed. Let stand for 5 minutes then fluff with a fork. Add quinoa and marinated mixture to a large bowl. Add basil, toss to mix and season to taste with salt and pepper.

Serves 4-6

-----------------
------------

***What the heck is Quinoa? Basically it's another type of grain (Gluten-free of course) that has more nutritional value than wheat. Wikipedia (How much do I love Wikipedia, by the way? Oh sooo much) says that Quinoa is a good source of fiber, protein, and easy to digest. In fact! NASA is considering using Quinoa as a crop to produce the food for longduration manned spaceflights. Yea, I think that means Quinoa just kicked Wheats little toxic behind. sucka!