Tuesday, April 17, 2007

It's been awhile...

That week long break of skiing with my parents threw me off my game. Fear not, however! I'm back, and I have lots
to say.

I'll start off with my ski trip.


I met my parents in Denver, CO (the process to get there was hellacious, and i spent a full day in the airport only to go back to my dorm room. that's not the point here though). We were to embark upon a week of skiing in Winterpark, CO. I, along with my two wonderful GF parents, have never been skiing or done any sort of snow sports. I'm from Texas. We don't know what that white cold stuff is. At first I though I would try snowboarding, but after the first day I had twisted my knee and decided to give up. I got food poisoning and was out of commission the next day. Eventually I got on some skis and had a grand ol' time flying uncontrollably down the mountain.













Dad, Me, and Mom...after our first (terrifying) day down the mountain


Winterpark is pretty small. So I figured there wouldn't be very much my family could really eat. My parents felt the same way and brought an abundance of GF things including pancake mix, brownie mix, and corn pasta. It turns out that Winterpark has a little store that advertises all the wonderful gluten-free products it sells! In fact, the grocery store (CityMart) across from our resort/lodge had gluten-free products. They had a variety of GF flours. Ralphs doesn't even do that.

Hear that Ralphs? This little store in this little town in Colorado carries gluten-free products, but YOU! You who are located in BIG metropolitan areas in California have nothing. nada. zilch. rien. I'm ashamed of you Ralphs. Being shown up by small town grocers.


My parents and I ended up feasting on an array of gluten free dinners and with delightful brownies and chocolates. I must say, I will whole-heartedly declare that GF pancakes are so much better than regular pancakes. They are naturally sweet, and my dad knows how to make them light and fluffy. mmmm I could go for a short stack right now actually.

When we went out to restaurants the waiters all seemed to know what gluten was. One of the bar tenders at a restaurant at the bottom of the mountain has Celiacs. Strange how a small town is more educated about gluten than Orange County.

________________________
____________________________

Today's Plate!



Breakfast:
Fat-Free Strawberry Yogurt with my favorite brand (Bakery on Main)of Gluten-Free Granola with some English Breakfast Tea


Lunch:
Grilled salmon and salad greens sprinkled with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, Raspberry frozen yogurt w/ sprinkles



Dinner:

How's a picture work for you?











That's Thai Kitchen Noodle Cart. They have a fantastic array of gluten-free microwavables. They are low in calorie and taste AMAZING. I absolutely love asian cuisine! mmmm

-----------------------
-----------------


My parents are in NYC right now, and they went to Risotteria. I spoke about Risotteria in a previous entry, and I am insanely jealous of them. I'll find out what they thought and let ya'll know!

No comments: