Friday, March 23, 2007

Wheat Gluten: pet killer

My dog is my baby, and she will be my puppy till she passes on. Even though I never see her because she is back in Texas, I want the very best for her. That includes food.
From when they are this big









To this big










isn't she cute? that's mybabies, baby.


I bring pets up (in all their adorableness) because there has been a case of pet food poisoning and killing pets, dogs and cats. I was flipping through the channels today and saw it on FoxNews. I don't typically watch any news station, but when it has to do with pets dying...well I tune in.

Anyhow, the connection between the poisoning and my blog topic are very close. According to MSNBC.com there is a huge recall of over 100 brands of the "cuts and gravy" pet food. So what's the culprit that has caused the death of cats and dogs? The FDA thinks it might be Wheat Gluten. The food manufacturing companies, based in New Jersey and Kansas, use wheat to thicken the gravy sauce.


So there we have it! Gluten isn't meant for humans, so it sure as hell isn't made for pets. How are they possibly meant to eat such a thing in nature? Cut down the stalk of wheat with their claws?


I think it's time more places offer gluten-free foods for humans and pets, because frankly whole foods and trader joes type of stores aren't available to everyone. So come on Ralphs, Vons, Publix, Cost-Co, Sam's Club, etc. get with the program and feed your customers and stop denying them their nutrients!!!

1 comment:

K Allrich said...

Oh - Baby - too cute!

I read the same news about pet foods. It explains a lot - so many animals develop awful diseases because of "what's in" pet food. Gluten = poison - for all of us, I guess.

Rock on Jenni. ;-)