Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Gluten a Different Sort of Drug.

Autism. I have family friends whose children are anywhere from slightly autistic to severely autistic. Austism basically makes them a little off beat. They have trouble communicating with others and communicating their feelings and emotions. They can be socially awkward or appear to have no social skills. Often times they are amazing musicians or artists but not so good conversationalists.

So where does Autism and Gluten meet? Well they have a nice little rendez-vous in the treatment quad. According to autism.org, a popular treatment method for Autistic children is to put them on gluten free/casien free diets. (casein is a protein found in all dairy products). According to the thousands of parents that have put their kids on a strict gluten/casein free diet, they have seen dramatic differences. One site, glutensolutions.com, goes so far as to state that gluten and casein are pretty much poison to most autistic children. These proteins leak into their guts (remember my last post about leaky gut syndrome?) completely undigested and attach to what is called the opiate receptors of the child's brain.

That kind of sounds to me like these wheat and milk products are acting like a drug such as morphine, cocaine, or heroine.

If you know any one who's child is autistic, talk to them about trying out a gluten/casein free diet.

-----------------
-------------




www.bakeryonmain.com


I went to Whole Foods today (I love that store, always have) and bought my parents a bag of gluten-free granola. Yes, that's correct. I bought them something. I was talking to my mom on Sunday when she was in the Whole Foods in Houston, I was telling her about this FantTASTic granola. Apparently they didn't have it at their whole foods, so I bought them some and plan on sending it out tomorrow. I've never had any granola this good, never.





Available in five amazing flavors. My personal favorite?
Apple Raisin Walnut


--------------
------------------

What makes Glacéau Smart Water smart? It's not all that shocking...

2 comments:

vanity313 said...

Budweiser just came out with wheat-free beer!!!

Regina Aletto said...

Um that is terrifying, I will inform anyone I know with Autistic children. I may have to hunt them down, but I'll let them know.