Monday, March 5, 2007

I'm Hungry

It's 1 am and I'm very hungry. Looking at food websites and recipes isn't really helping me either.

If I were Hiro (yea, from NBC's Heroes) I would teleport myself either to Greenwich Village or Seattle. Why? Because they have gluten-free restaurants.

In a MSNBC article from 2005, the restaurant Risotteria is featured as a Celiac friendly, restaurant. An Italian restuarant at that. Half the menu is for all you wheat eaters and the other half is for us sensitive to the grain. They offer risotto, Neapolitan style pizza, huge salads, panini (grilled & pressed sandwiches), cookies, cakes and their signature "fudgies". So this may not sound like any big thing to you non-gluten sensitives. When EVERY item listed above is something completely and utterly off limits to you, and then you find a place you can walk in and order it all? With a beer to chase? It's like heaven on earth.

Bigger chain restaurants such as Outback Steakhouse, Carrabba's Italian Grill, PF Chang's, and Pei Wei offer a gluten-free menu, but they do not offer gluten-free pasta and garlic breadsticks.

Today, no recipe.
Today, no list of what I ate.
Today, I want to go here.


Risotteria













photo: Gregory Bull/ AP File


------------------
-----------------------

If Oregon, Washington, New Jersey, New Hampshire, and Florida can have gluten-free restaurants then California needs to get on the ball!

2 comments:

JS said...

I'm so sorry that you have to live on this hard-to-find diet. I never realized how little food was offered at our main markets that targeted to this diet. More people in your same situation should speak out to this markets and increase awareness for the necessity of these specialty food products.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I do believe this is an excellent website.
I stumbledupon it ;) I'm going to revisit once again since i have saved as a favorite it. Money and freedom is the greatest way to change, may you be rich and continue to help others.

Also visit my blog ... http://cafety.youthrights.org/wiki/index.php?title=User_talk:HollyThor